Thursday, March 24, 2005

Egg and yarn dying

Yikes, I didn't realize that my last entry was that old. I guess it's true what they say, time does indeed fly when you don't know what the heck you're doing.
I don't know how many of you know that I've been crocheting for about 8 or 9 years and started trying to learn to knit this year. I enjoy being able to "make something out of nothing". I managed to knit a pair of legwarmers for Cass in this beautiful colorway called "blueberry pie". It's all blues and purples, really pretty. I'll post a picture when I take one and get it developed and scanned. I can't wait for the day when I can have a digital camera so I can just take pictures of things and post them right away.
I've been looking for knitting needles at the area Goodwill stores. Last Sunday I checked out the Corvallis Goodwill. I came home with a pair of #5 needles and a $4 bag of yarn. Three of the skeins in the bag still had their wrappers on and they were 100% wool. The other stuff was iffy, but those 3 skeins of wool were more than worth the $4 I paid for the bag. When I had the chance to open up the bag and spread it out on the couch, I found more wool. It's this hideous cantelope orange color. I've heard that wool can be dyed with food coloring and kool aid, so when Cass and I were coloring eggs tonight I thought I'd try overdying the orange yarn with another color. After the eggs were done I snipped off a little bit of the yarn and tossed it into the dye and nuked it for 2 minutes. I rinsed it well and hung it up to dry over the bathtub while I cleaned out the microwave. The strand I dyed is a beautiful pine green color now. I made notes about how I mixed the color before I forgot so that hopefully I'll be able to replicate it someday when I have the tools to dye an entire skein of yarn at a time.
I've also been busy making booties for my new niece. She's almost a month old now, and I hope they fit her. I made one pair of booties that look like workboots because my brother works in construction, and one pair of pink sandals because she's a girl and every girl needs something pretty to wear.
My other brother and his wife are expecting their first child later this year and I've started on a pair of booties that look like cowboy boots for their baby. We don't know if their baby will be a boy or a girl yet and probably won't know until he/she is born. While I respect the decision to not learn the sex of the baby, it might be a little easier to buy (and make) gifts ahead of time if we knew.
That's it for now.

No comments: