Cass asked me if I could teach her to crochet a few months ago. I gave her a small ball of yarn and showed her how to make a chain stitch. She spent the next month or so chaining until the yarn was used up and then ripping it all out and repeating the process. I kept asking if she wanted to try another stitch but she kept saying she wasn't ready yet. Finally she said she was ready for another stitch. I kept it simple and showed her how to do a single crochet stitch and away she went. About a week later we were in the craft section of Wal Mart looking for yarn to make a poncho and she found a skein she really wanted to make a scarf out of. We got it home and I loaned her my P hook because the yarn was very bulky. She measured another scarf to get the width she wanted and made her chain stitches, and burst into tears when she went to crochet in her newly made chains. She couldn't see where to put her stitches. I worked with the yarn for a while and then convinced her to try again. I did the first row of single crochet stitches for her and helped her figure out how to feel where to put the stitches. She finished the first skein of yarn and has now started on the second. I'm Extremely proud of her for sticking with it despite her initial disappointment. She asked me to show her another stitch just a few days ago and I can't tell the difference between her practice stitches and my own. She's taking to crochet like a fish to water.
It's getting late and I should start thinking about bedtime so that's all for now.
No comments:
Post a Comment